Transmission problem or is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problem or is this normal??

Very long time lurker here. I traded in my RSX-S for a 2012 TSX SE about 4 months ago. I’m having an issue with the auto transmission and I don’t know if this is normal or not in the TSX?

When I’m doing a steady cruise in Drive mode around 40mph, the car automatically has me in 5th gear at 1500rpm. Because of the low RPM, there is a slight vibration/shaking until I either let off the gas or push the gas pedal a little harder which makes it downshift.

Have you ever taken off in 3rd gear from a dead stop and the car shakes as you’re pulling away? This is slightly what it feels like. It happens when I’m between 1500-1600rpm and I’m driving at a steady speed, usually 40mph. The problem is most of my commute is driven at a steady 40mph speed, so this constantly happens. When I change to sport mode, everything is fine because of the higher RPM.

Does anyone else experience this? I am coming from a 6-speed manual, but I have never experienced this in the many automatics that I have driven. The TSX goes in for its first inspection next month, so I will have them look at it, but was wondering if any of you guys had the same problem?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I thought the 2012 SE comes only in manual. Do you have the V6? Some of us here with the V6 have this "shudder" issue which appears when the torque converter is in "partial lock-up" mode. Still no fix for us. The TLs have the same problem (but fixed by a PCM [i.e., "firmware"] update).
The following users liked this post:
WhiteSEtsx (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
I thought the 2012 SE comes only in manual. Do you have the V6? Some of us here with the V6 have this "shudder" issue which appears when the torque converter is in "partial lock-up" mode. Still no fix for us. The TLs have the same problem (but fixed by a PCM [i.e., "firmware"] update).
The only TSX manual is the SE, but the SE comes both ways.

There is no V6 SE option. The only option on the SE are transmissions and colors. All SE's are non-tech.
The following users liked this post:
TSXV6Guy (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
6th Gear

I googled "torque converter shudder" and this sounds just like my symptoms except for the high temperature relationship...
Shudder Symptoms
  • Torque converter shudder fells like a slight to heavy vibration in the transmission, and is usually accompanied by an interruption in power transfer. It generally occurs at part throttle and light acceleration, between 15 and 50 miles per hour, just before the shift to one of the top gears where the converter reaches "lock-up." Since it is temperature-related, it tends to happen on hot days, after idling in traffic for long periods of time.

Read more: Torque Converter Shudder Problems | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5611225_to...#ixzz2KDd4sH88

Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
6th Gear

Well, thanks TSXV6Guy. I did some more searching on this forum and on the web and this sounds exactly like the issue that Im having. At least now, I have an official name to call it. I only have 6k miles so it sucks that this is happening already.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I don't think the two are related. The TL issue is only with the AWD drivetrain and the transmissions are different. In addition, the TLs problems were quite evident while the one you describe is much more subtle.

Try a wheel balance. A slight shudder/vibration at 40/80 mph is usually rear tires while a vibration at 60mph is usually front tires.

With so few miles I would go to the dealer. If they say "no problem found" insist on a road force wheel balance (most Acura dealers have the Hunter 9700 machine) but ask for before and after readings.

I had a similar issue that was cured by a proper balance.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
shouldn't be a wheel balance issue if the shudder goes away with changing throttle input.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
It's definitely not a wheel balance. My dealer tech recognized it as the "shudder". I am surprised that White's SE is affected too since, as an "SE", I presume it's a 4 cylinder.... Maybe it's not the same issue. White, I would take it to the dealer (also check the tranny fluid level just in case)...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by its rayden
shouldn't be a wheel balance issue if the shudder goes away with changing throttle input.
Changing the throttle changes the speed.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

It's definitely not a wheel balance. My dealer tech recognized it as the "shudder". I am surprised that White's SE is affected too since, as an "SE", I presume it's a 4 cylinder.... Maybe it's not the same issue. White, I would take it to the dealer (also check the tranny fluid level just in case)...
The V6 is different. The OP has a 4.

I suspect it is some sort of a NVH that may be resolved by a balance - but it could, of course, be something else too.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM
6th Gear

Ceb, I don't think this is a wheel balance issue. I read the other threads about the TL and TSX V6's and it sounds exactly like what I am experiencing.

It only happens in the "RPM sweet spot" of 1500rpm and only when I have a very light throttle. If I back off on the throttle, the shudder disappears. If I apply a little bit more throttle, it downshifts into 4th. I dont think the speed changes much at all, maybe 1 or 2mph.

It usually happens in steady traffic when I behind someone just cruising along. It drives me crazy because it does it on my whole 30min commute. I have been driving in sport mode lately so the rpm does not drop down to 1500.

I'm definitely taking it do the dealership and suggesting that they change the transmission fluid and go from there.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by WhiteSEtsx
Ceb, I don't think this is a wheel balance issue. I read the other threads about the TL and TSX V6's and it sounds exactly like what I am experiencing.

It only happens in the "RPM sweet spot" of 1500rpm and only when I have a very light throttle. If I back off on the throttle, the shudder disappears. If I apply a little bit more throttle, it downshifts into 4th. I dont think the speed changes much at all, maybe 1 or 2mph.

It usually happens in steady traffic when I behind someone just cruising along. It drives me crazy because it does it on my whole 30min commute. I have been driving in sport mode lately so the rpm does not drop down to 1500.

I'm definitely taking it do the dealership and suggesting that they change the transmission fluid and go from there.
You don't have a V6 and there have been few reports of this issue with 4 cyl cars. I had a bit of a shudder at 40mph and that was fixed by a wheel balance. You may have a different issue because I obviously don't know what your shudder feels like or what your definition of "slight" is.

I would caution against telling the dealer what the diagnosis is. That may lead them off in the wrong direction and cause them to start charging you. If you go in and say "I have this shudder, change the fluid" then they can certainly charge you. If you say "I have this shudder, fix it please" then they can't (assuming the fault is covered by warranty.)

Here is what I would do - find a road near the dealership where you can reliably reproduce the issue. When you make the appt, tell the advisor that you'd like to have someone ride with you to see/hear the problem. Once they've heard the problem, let them diagnose. If they can't, then you can start making suggestions - "could it be the transmission? Would it help to change the fluid? Could it be wheel balance?" - but them decide how to fix it.

Good luck and keep us posted.